Sunday, July 5, 2009

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

I just finished Randy Pausch's last lecture. He was an amazing man who was a professor for many years. Just by watching his video I learned a lot. To him learning was a fun and exciting thing to do. He tried in every way to make learning as fun as it could be. His main message in his lecture was reaching your childhood goals.

He started with his childhood goals. He went through and told about what he dreamed of doing as a child and how he accomplished all of his goals. One of his biggest points he stressed is that brick walls, or obstacles, are there to let you know how badly you want something. To him there was nothing you couldn't achieve, everything was possible. While watching and listening I thought how true is that, brick walls are just there to let you know how badly you want something. With this being part of his philosophy he pushed for all people to be able to achieve their dreams.

As a soon to be teacher I thought this was extremely important. Being able to support children and their dreams is a huge part of helping them achieve. Without having someone to believe in them they wont know how far they can go. He also was sure to stress that if a dream you have needs to be altered in order to make it true then that's fine. Not everything we want to happen will but he thought no matter what we should at least try.

For me I will use this lecture to help me be a better teacher for children. I will use his philosophy of never giving up, altering a dream if need be, and giving your all as a teacher. I will never give up on my children and in return will expect them to never give up. I will in every way support them in any dream they have, no matter what it may be, because only they know what they can accomplish. I will also give my all to these children everyday and in return expect the same from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment